建物・モニュメント | Buildings & Monuments

地図

オランダ坂 | Dutch Slope

19世紀、日本がオランダ以外の西洋諸国にも鎖国を解いた後、すべての長崎在留外国人は日本人から「オランダさん」と呼ばれました。オランダ人以外の外国人との接触が、それまでなかったからです。大半の外国人の居住地に非常に近かったため、多くの外国人がこの坂を日常的に行き来していました。そこから「オランダ坂」と呼ばれるようになりました。| After Japan opened its borders to other Western nations besides the Netherlands in the 19th century, all foreigners in Nagasaki were called Oranda-san by the Japanese inhabitants, because until then they had not been in contact with (m)any other foreigners besides the Dutch. This hill was particularly close to where most foreigners had settled and therefore, many foreigners passed here on a daily basis. For that reason, it is called the Dutch Slope.

木曽三川 | Kiso Sansen Rivers

木曽三川とは、複数の県にまたがって流れる木曽川、揖斐川、長良川の3つの川の総称です。これら三川の本流は三角州で合流するため、大きな堆積層を形成します。この堆積層によって舟の航行が妨げれられたため、灌漑が求められました。さらに、川の水位が上がると、洪水が引き起こされました。そこで、オランダ人土木技師ヨハネス・デ・レーケが木曽三川の分流工事を計画、指導し、木曽三川の水管理は著しく向上しました。| The Kiso Sansen Rivers are three rivers, the Kiso, Ibi and Nagara River, that flow through several prefectures. The rivers arteries meet in the delta, where they caused heavy silting. Because of the silting, navigation was impeded and it led to the malfunctioning of the irrigation system. Also, the water level in the rivers rose, which caused floods. The Dutch civil engineer Johannis de Rijke designed river improvements and supervised the project, which led to a greatly improved water management system.

デ・レーケ立像 | Statue of De Rijke

岐阜県海津市の羽根谷砂防堰堤を含め、日本中の治水工事に携わったオランダ人土木技師デ・レーケの立像です。この銅像は、100年前の木曽三川分流工事の開始を記念し、1987年に除幕式が行われました。| Statue of the Dutch civil engineer Johannis de Rijke, who worked on various waterworks throughout Japan, including in Kaizu. The bronze statue was unveiled in 1987 to commemorate the start of the construction of the Kiso Sansen River 100 years before.

常願寺川 | Joganji River

常願寺川は、オランダ人土木技師ヨハネス・デ・レーケの指導の下、砂防ダム改修工事が行われました。常願寺川の急流を見たレーケが「これは川ではない。滝である」と言ったと伝えられています。| The Dutch civil engineer Johannis de Rijke supervised the reparation of an erosion control dam in the Joganji River. It is said that when he saw the river he said: “ This is not a river, it is a waterfall!”,referring to the swift current.

淀川修築工事 | Yodogawa River Improvements

淀川修築工事には、オランダ人土木技師ヨハネス・デ・レーケとG.A.エッシャーが携わりました。当時淀川は浅く、新型船(外輪船)を導入できなかったため、水深を確保する工事が必要となったためです。| River improvements by the Dutch civil engineers Johannis de Rijke and George Arnold Escher. The Yodogawa was not sailable for the new modern boats and therefore had to be deepened.

本家オランダ館 | Honke Orandakan

かつて、オランダ貿易商チャーリー・エリオン氏の邸宅でした。1982年まで、姉のメーベル・エリオン実際に住んでいました。春のチューリップの開花時期は、2000本のチューリップが誇り咲いています。また、館内では女性限定でオランダの民族衣装の無料試着ができます。| Previous residence of the Dutch tradesman Charlie Ailion, which was inhabited by his sister until 1982. In spring、in the tulip season, up to 2000 tulips bloom in the mansion's garden. Further, it is possible to try on national women's costumes for free.

A.J.ボードワンの胸像 | Bust of Albert Bauduin

神戸初代オランダ領事A.J.ボードワンの胸像。A.J.ボードワンは、上野公園(東京)の生みの親、A.F.ボードワン博士の弟です。A.J.ボードワンの胸像は、ポートアイランド北公園にあります。| Bust of Albert Bauduin, the first consul to the Netherlands in Kobe. He was the younger brother of dr. Toon Bauduin, the founder of Ueno Park. The bust can be found in Kita-Koen, Port Island.

児島湖 | Kojima Lake

オランダ人土木技師A.R.ムルデルが児島湾の干拓工事計画をまとめました。1573年以来、日本人はこの地域の干拓を試みてきました。現在、児島湖は、オランダのアイセル湖に次いで2番目に大きな人造湖です。 | The Dutch civil engineer Anthonie Rouwenhorst Mulder designed a plan for the reclamation of Kojima Bay. Since 1573 the Japanese have tried to reclaim this land. Currently it is the second biggest artificial lake after the Ijsselmeer

ポルダータワー | Poldertoren

水巻町は、エメロード(ノールドオーストポルダー市)との友好関係に感謝の意を表し、2000年に、同地のポルダータワーを模したタワーを開設しました。このポルダータワーは水巻町図書館・歴史資料館の入り口にあたります。この施設には、オランダ関連の書籍や資料を揃えたオランダコーナーが設けられています。| A replica of the Poldertoren in Emmeloord was opened in 2000 by the municipality of Mizumaki to show their appreciation for the close ties. The tower serves as a entrance to the library. In the library has a Dutch corner with information and books about the Netherlands.

リーフデ号到着記念公園 | Liefde Memorial Park

臼杵市の佐志生海岸沖に浮かぶ黒島には、日本に初めて漂着したオランダ船リーフデ号を記念する小さな公園があります。この公園内には、資料館、リーフデ号の模型、朱印船貿易商のヤン=ヨーステン・ファン・ローデンスタインなどの像が設置されています。2000年の日蘭通商400周年記念式典の際には、オランダのウィレム・アレキサンダー皇太子と日本の皇太子がこの公園を訪れました。 | On Kuroshima, an island just off the coast of Utsuki City, there is a small memorial park for the ship the 'Liefde', the first Dutch ship that arrived in Japan. The park consists of a museum, small replica of the 'Liefde' and several statues, including one of the merchant Jan Joosten van Lodensteijn. It was visited by Prince Willem-Alexander and the Japanese Crown Prince in 2000 in commemoration of the 400 years of relations between the two countries.

リンド技師功績記念碑 | Lindo Memorial Monument

2009年、浦安市において、オランダのドキュメンタリー映画作家ルーイ・ヴァン・ガステレン氏の発案により、オランダ運輸・公共事業・水利大臣のカミール・アーリング氏がリンド技師功績記念碑の除幕を行いました。記念碑にはリンド技師の生い立ちや日本での業績が刻まれています。リンド技師は荒川の基準水位を測量し、零点と定めた、東京湾平均海面(Tokyo Peil)の設定者として知られています。| The Lindo Memorial Monument, an initiative by filmmaker Louis van Gasteren, was unveiled by Camiel Eurlings the then Minister of Transport, Public Work and Water Management in 2009 in Urayasu. Lindo's personal history and achievements in Japan are engraved on the monument.Lindo is known for establishing the Tokio Peil, by measuring the average water level of the Arakawa and making that the zero point.

ムルデルの碑 | Mulder Memorial

1888年、オランダ人土木技師A.R.ムルデルが江戸川と利根川間の利根運河建設を指導しました。日本人文筆家、北野道彦氏が提唱し、1985年にムルデルの碑が建てられました。| In 1888, the Dutch civil engineer Anthonie Rouwenhorst Mulder supervised the construction of the Tone canal between the Yedogawa and the Tonegawa. The Japanese writer Michihiko Kitano proposed the building of a memorial for Mulder, which was completed in 1985.

横浜ホテル | Remain of Yokohama Hotel

横浜初の近代的なホテル「横浜ホテル」は、1860年にオランダ船籍の帆船ナッソウ号の元船長、C.J.フフナーゲルが開業したものです。「横浜ホテル」は1867年に焼失してしまいました。その跡地にはこのホテルのあらましを伝える「ホテル発祥の地碑」が建てられています。| The first hotel of modern times was opened by the Dutch captain C.J. Huffnagel in 1860 and was called 'Yokohama Hotel'. It burned down in 1867 but there remains a short description of the hotel at its former location.

長延寺跡 - オランダ領事館跡 | Site of the former Netherlands Consulate at Choenji

1863年に、オランダ総領事ポルスブルックにより長延寺の敷地内に移設されたオランダ領事館跡です。長延寺は1965年移設されたため、オランダ領事館の名残を伝えるものは、神奈川通東公園にある石碑のみとなりました。| Site of the former Netherlands Consulate, which was moved there by Van Polsbroek in 1863 on the compound of the temple Choenji. The temple was relocated in 1965 and at present only a memorial stone remains in the Kanagawa-dori Higashi Park.

ケイスベルト・ヘンミィの墓 | Grave of Gijsbert Hemmij

1798年、オランダ商館長ケイスベルト・ヘンミィは、江戸から出島への帰途、掛川の宿で亡くなり、天然寺に埋葬されました。ヘンミィの墓碑は、2006年に掛川市とオランダ大使館によって修復されました。| Dejima opperhoofd Gijsbert Hemmij passed away at an inn in Kakegawa City on his way back from Edo to Dejima in 1798. He was buried in the temple Tennenji. In 2006 his grave was restored with money from the city and the Dutch embassy.

オランダ墓 | Oranda Baka

1846年、フランスの艦隊が沖縄、名護の運天港に入港しました。3ヶ月の滞在期間中に乗組員2名が亡くなり、運天に埋葬されました。当時、沖縄の人々は外国人をすべて「ウランダー」と表現していたため、亡くなった二人はフランス人でしたが、その墓は「オランダ墓」と呼ばれました。1983年、名護市の文化財に指定されました。| The French fleet entered the port of Unten in 1846. During their 3 month stay two of the crew members died and were buried in Unten. Those days, all foreigners were called ''Uranda'' by the Okinawans. Therefore, although they were French, the gravesite was called 'Oranda gravesite'. In 1983 it was designated as cultural heritage of Nago City.

ボードワン博士像 | Statue of Dr. A.F. Bauduin

上野公園にあるアントニウス・フランシスカス・ボードウィン博士の像。上野への大学建設を相談されたボードウィン博士は、その地は公園にこそふさわしいと提言したと伝えられています。このことから、博士は上野公園の生みの親であるとされています。1973年、上野公園創立100周年の記念に、ボードワン博士像が建立されましたが、その時、博士の弟アルベルトの胸像を誤って建ててしまいました。2006年、正改めてアントニウス・フランシスカス・ボードウィン博士の像が上野公園に設けられ、弟A.J.ボードワンの像は、彼が初代オランダ領事を務めた神戸に移されました。| Statue of Dr. Anthony F. Bauduin in Ueno Park. It is said that when Bauduin was consulted about the construction of a university in Ueno, he instead suggested that this place was the perfect place for a park. Hence he is considered the founder of Ueno Park.In 1973, in commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the establishment of Ueno Park the statue was erected, but by a mistake of identity, the bust it was not of Anthony, but of his brother, Albert. In 2006, the correct bust was erected and his brother's bust moved to Kobe where he had been the first Dutch Consul.

ヤン・ヨーステン記念碑 | Jan Joosten van Lodensteijn Memorial

ヤン・ヨーステン・ファン・ローデンスタインは、オランダ船「リーフデ号」で日本に初めて来航したオランダ人のひとりでした。徳川幕府より外交、軍事顧問を命じられました。ヤン・ヨーステンの名前を短くした「やようす・やえす」となり、現在の八重洲界隈の名称となりました。ヤン・ヨーステン記念碑は日蘭修好380周年を記念して、1989年に建立されました。| Jan Joosten van Lodensteijn was one of the first Dutch who arrived in Japan on the ship “De Liefde”. He was selected by the Shogun as foreign and military affairs adviser. “Yayosu/Yaesu” was the the short version of his name, to which the Yaesu neigbourhood owns it name. The monument in Yaesu was built in commemoration of the 380th anniversary of the Japanese-Dutch Friendship in 1989.

ヤン・ヨーステン記念像 | Jan Joosten van Lodensteijn Memorial Statue

オランダ船「リーフデ号」で日本に初めて来航したオランダ人のひとりヤン=ヨーステン・ファン・ローデンスタインの記念像です。ヤン・ヨーステンの居宅のあった江戸の地は、「八代洲(やようす)河岸」と呼ばれていました。ヤン・ヨーステンの名前を短くした「耶揚子(やようす)」「八代洲(やようす)」が後に「やえす」となり、現在の八重洲界隈の名称となりました。記念像は東京駅八重洲地下街にあります。 | Memorial Statue of Jan Joosten van Lodensteijn, who was one of the first Dutch, that arrived in Japan on the Dutch ship the 'Liefde'. Lodensteijn resided in Edo and that part of the city became known as 'Yayosu Quay'. His name was pronounced shortly as 'Yayosu' and this later turned into the Yaesu neighbourhood, where the statue can be found in the underground shopping center of the Tokyo station.

解体新書の絵図碑 | Kaitai Shinsho Memorial

オランダ語の解剖学書『Ontleedkundige Tafelen(解剖学表)』を翻訳した『解体新書』を記念して建立されました。『解体新書』は、日本における医学発展とオランダ語への理解を深める上で重要な役割を果たしました。| Memorial erected in commemoration of the Kaitai Shinsho, 'Ontleedkundige Tafelen', the first full-blown translation of a Western book. The book was important for the development of medical knowledge in Japan, as well as for the comprehension of the Dutch language in Japan.

シーボルト胸像 | Bust of Philipp Franz von Siebold

日本で初めて西洋医学を教えた医師、フィリップ・フランツ・フォン・シーボルトの胸像です。この胸像は1988年、ライデン大学とイサーク・アルフレッド・エリオン財団により、あかつき公園(東京都中央区)に日蘭友好を目的に建立されました。| Bust of Philipp Franz von Siebold, the first doctor who taught Western medicine in Japan. The bust was erected by Leiden University and the Isaac Alfred Aillion Foundation in the Akatsuki Park in 1988, because of the friendship between Japan and the Netherlands.

ヘンリー・ヒュースケンの墓 | Henry Heusken's Grave

江戸時代にオランダから来て駐日米国総領事の通弁官(通訳)を務めていたヘンリー・ヒュースケンは1861年に暗殺され、光林寺(東京都港区)に埋葬されました。ヒュースケンの墓石には、次のように記されています。「駐日米国総領事館通弁官ヘンリーC.J.ヒュースケン記念碑。1832年1月20日、アムステルダム生まれ。1861年1月16日、江戸にて逝去。」 | Henry Heusken, the Dutch interpreter to the U.S. Consul General in Edo, was assassinated in 1861 and buried at the Korinji Temple. The inscription on his tombstone reads: 'Sacred to the memory of Henry C.J. Heusken' Interpreter to the American Legation in Japan. Born in Amsterdam January 20, 1832. Died at Yedo January 16, 1861.

西応寺 | Saiouji

オランダ公使宿館として1859年に設立されました。1867年の薩摩藩邸襲撃事件時に焼失しました。現在、旧公使館とみられる場所は、西応寺が経営する幼稚園になっています。| Established in 1859 as the official residence of the Dutch representative. During an incident in 1867 it was set on fire and burnt to the ground. Currently, a kindergarten run by the temple stands on the remains.

ヒュースケン暗殺事件の現場 | Place of the assassination of Henry Heusken

ヘンリー・ヒュースケン(1832年生まれ)は外国人を見た江戸の人々が「ヒュースケン」とその名を叫ぶほど、日本人には大変有名で人気がある外国人でした。1861年1月16日の晩、プロイセン使節との夕食を終えたヒュースケンは帰宅の途についていました。数名の暗殺者が中ノ橋でヒュースケンを待ち伏せていました。暗殺者はヒュースケンに重傷を負わせて逃走しました。この後ヒュースケンは善福寺に運ばれましたが、医師の治療のかいなく、襲撃の知らせを聞き、急ぎ参じた友人らに看取られて亡くなりました。暗殺者については、遂に探し出すことができませでした。| Born in 1832, Henry Heusken was a well-known and popular foreigner in Japan, to the extent that people in Edo were shouting his name when they saw a foreigner. On the night of January 16th 1861, Heusken returned to his house from a dinner with the Prussian envoy. At the Nakano-hashi Bridge, an unknown number of assassins were waiting. The assassins badly injured Heusken and then fled. Hereafter, Heusken was brought to Zenpukiji Temple, where a doctor tried to save him. He died in the company of his friends. The assassins were never found.

真福寺 | Shinpuku-ji

1858年、最後のオランダ商館長ヤン・ヘンドリク・ドンケル=クルティウスは江戸の将軍を公式訪問しました。公式訪問時の3ヶ月間、クルティウスは愛宕山下の真福寺に滞在しました。幕府は、クルティウスの公式訪問の理由は日蘭修好通商条約締結のためと判断しました。そのため、外国使節の定宿は長崎屋でしたが、江戸の中心にある長崎屋は適切ではないとして、クルティウスを真福寺に滞在させました。| In 1858, Janus Henricus Donker Curtius, the last ‘Opperhoofd’ of Dejima, made a ceremonial visit to the Shogun in Edo. During his visit he stayed at the Shinnpuku-ji Temple under the Atogoyama Mountain for 3 months. Normally the delegation would stay at the Nagasakiya Inn, but the Bakufu felt that the reason of the visit was the conclusion of a treaty. They believed that staying in the city center, in the case of the Nagasakiya Inn, was not suitable and therefore, decided on the Shinpukuji Temple.

杉田玄白の墓 | Sugita Genpaku's Grave

1733年生まれの杉田玄白は著名な蘭学者・医者で、『解体新書』の訳者のひとりです。『解体新書』は、西洋言語の文献(オランダ語文献の『Ontleedkundige Tafelen(解剖学表)』)を初めて完訳したものです。玄白は1817年、虎ノ門の栄閑院(通称・猿寺)に埋葬されました。墓は1908年に再建されています。| Sugita Genpaku, born in 1733, was a famous scholar of the Dutch studies, rangaku. He was one of the translators of the first fully translated book from a Western language, Kaitai Shinsho, in Dutch known 'Ontleedkundige Tafelen'. He was buried at the Saru-dera Eikan-in Temple in 1817. His grave was reconstructed in 1908.

長崎屋 | Remains of the Nagasakiya

江戸初期、オランダ人は江戸将軍拝謁のため毎年江戸に登城していました。後に将軍拝謁は4年に1度になりました。江戸滞在中、オランダ人は長崎屋に逗留しました。長崎屋は100名以上を招き入れられるほどの大店で、オランダ人を一目見ようと多くの人々が押しかけました。また、長崎屋には多くの蘭学生が集い、オランダ人にさまざまな事柄について教えを請いました。| At first the Dutch travelled to Edo for their tribute mission to the Shogunate each year. Later this became once every four years. During their stay in Edo, they stayed in the Nagasakiya. An inn, which could hold more than 100 guests. The inn attracted many people interested in seeing the Dutch. Also, many students of rangaku visited the inn to ask the Dutch a myriad of questions on various topics.

鳥取港 | Tottori Harbour

オランダ人土木技師ヨハネス・デ・レーケの監督の下、鳥取港は改修されました。| Under the supervision of the Duch civil engineer Johannis de Rijke, the harbour of Tottori was improved.

オランダ船「デ・リーフデ号」像 | Statue of 'De Liefde'

1600年に日本に初めて来航したオランダ船リーフデ号の像は、1980年にA.A.M.ファン・アフト首相(当時)が来日した折に、オランダ王国政府を代表して同首相から日本政府に寄贈されました。| The statue of the Dutch ship 'Liefde' the first Dutch ship that arrived in Japan in 1600, was a gift from the Dutch government to the Japanese government. It was offered in 1980 by the then Minister President of the Netherlands A.A.M van Agt during his visit to Japan.

オランダ王国大使公邸 | Residence of the Dutch ambassador

初代公邸が1923年の関東大震災で倒壊したのを受け、アメリカ人建築家ジェームス・M・ガーディナーと日本人建築家上林敬吉によって新しい公邸が建てられました。戦後、この建物が大使館本館と公邸として使われていましたが、1991年ベアトリクス女王が来日した際に新しい大使館本館を開館しました。それ以来、この公邸は、1階をオフィシャルな行事の会場とし、2階は大使一家の居住空間として使われています。| The original residence was destroyed in the Great 1923 Kanto earthquake and rebuilt by American architect James M. Gardiner together with Japanese architect Keikichi Kambayashi. The residence served as chancery and residence until Her Majesty Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands opened a new chancery during her State Visit to Japan in 1991. Since then, the residence served as residence of the Ambassador and family, as well as official functions.

ハラタマ博士の胸像 | Bust of K.W. Gratama

オランダ人化学者ハラタマ(K.W. GRATAMA:1831-1888)博士は、1866年から5年間、江戸幕府から明治政府へ移る激動期に日本に滞在し、1869年に理化実験棟をもつ学校「舎密(セイミ)局」を大阪城前に開設した。 彼はそこで化学を講義し、オランダから運んできた試薬と実験器具を用いて化学実験を教えた。 これによって舎密局は、講義と実験による本格的な近代化学を日本に最初に導入した記念すべき場所となった。 | Koenraad Wolter Gratama (1831-1888) was a Dutch chemist who stayed in Japan from 1866 to 1871, a period in which the Japanese government changed from the Tokugawa Shogunate to the Meiji government. He first arrived in Nagasaki and became the first teacher of the Institute for Chemistry and Physics. He later moved to Edo and in 1869 moved to Osaka with his students where he established Japan’s first chemistry school, or ‘seimi kyoku’ (from the Dutch word ‘chemie’), in front of Osaka Castle. There he taught chemistry and performed experiments with the materials he brought from The Netherlands.